Your temporomandibular joint is a hinge that connects your jaw to the temporal bones of your skull, which are in front of each ear. It lets you move your jaw up and down and side to side, so you can talk, chew, and yawn.
Problems with your jaw and the muscles in your face that control it are known as temporomandibular disorders (TMD). But you may hear it more commonly called TMJ, after the joint.
Do I have TMD?
A TMJ disorder often causes severe pain and discomfort — even migraines. It can be temporary or last many years. It might affect one or both sides of your face.
More women than men have it, and it’s most common among people between the ages of 20 and 40.
Ask Yourself These Questions to Find Out if You Have a TMJ Disorder:
- Do I have pain or tenderness in my face, jaw joint area, neck and shoulders?
- Do I have pain around the ear when I chew, speak, or open my mouth wide?
- Do I have issues or problems when I try to open my mouth wide?
- Does my jaw get “stuck” or “lock” in the open- or closed-mouth position?
- Do I hear clicking, popping, or grating sounds in the jaw joint when I open or close my mouth or chew.
- Does my face feel tired?
- Do I have trouble chewing or a sudden uncomfortable bite — as if the upper and lower teeth are not fitting together properly?
- Do I have swelling on the side of my face?
- Do I get toothaches?
- Do I get headaches, neck aches? Do I experience dizziness, earaches, hearing problems, upper shoulder pain, and ringing in the ears (tinnitus)?
Think You Might Suffer From a TMJ Disorder?
The good news is that TMJ disorders are most likely temporary and can be treated effectively at Pasadena Pain Management. We use an exclusive therapy called Disclusion Time Reduction (DTR). By using computer-guided technology, we compile data on a TMJ/TMD patient’s timed and force bites inside the mouth. The data collected can nearly permanently correct TMJ problems. In fact, in most patients, many of the TMJ pain and Symptoms go away within the first week after treatment has begun – without a mouthguard!
Treatment for TMJ Disorders, Migraines, Headaches in Pasadena
Pasadena Pain Management offers pain management treatment for TMJ/TMD, migraine, headaches and neck pain in Pasadena, CA. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Pasadena Pain Management, we offer the exclusive TruDenta treatment therapy — a highly specialized form of care that involves cutting-edge dental technology, without needles or injections. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable pain management care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping our patients happy and pain free.