Guess what – by the time you experience the sensation of the thirst, you are already dehydrated. That thirst is your body calling for re-hydration.
So, really, what does this mean? Why should we drink more water?
Your body is composed of roughly 60% water. That means when we are dehydrated, we are affecting the performance of the majority of our body. Nearly all of our systems do not function as well without the proper water intake. And, for people who are prone to migraines and headaches — that means you’re primed for a flare.
Why Drink More Water?
I know that many people really don’t like water all that much. But you may feel differently after reading these 7 game-changing reasons to drink water throughout the day.
1. Prevent cancer. Yes, that’s right – various research says staying hydrated can reduce risk of colon cancer by 45%, bladder cancer by 50%, and possibly reduce breast cancer risk as well.
2. Enhance your mood. Research says dehydration can affect your mood and make you grumpy and confused. Think clearer and be happier by drinking more water.
3. Lose weight. Sometimes we think we are hungry, when actually we are thirsty. Our body just starts turning on all the alarms when we ignore it. For those of you trying to drop some pounds, staying hydrated can serve as an appetite suppressant and help with weight loss.
4. Flush out waste and bacteria. Our digestive system needs water to function properly. Waste is flushed out in the form of urine and sweat. If we don’t drink water, we don’t flush out waste and it collects in our body causing a myriad of problems. Also combined with fiber, water can cure constipation.
5. Prevent headaches and migraines. Sometimes headaches can be caused by dehydration, so drinking water can prevent or alleviate that nasty head pain. Next time your head hurts, try drinking water.
6. Make your skin glow. Our skin is the largest organ in our body. Regular and plentiful water consumption can improve the color and texture of your skin by keeping it building new cells properly.
7. Maintain body temperature during exercise. As you exercise, your metabolism and your internal body temperature increase. Water carries heat away from your internal organs before serious damage occurs, which can lead to heat stroke, and even death.
Easy Ways to Consume More Water
Experts recommend that people drink half their bodyweight in ounces of water. So, for example, if you weight 160lbs, drink 80 oz of water each day.
Carry a bottle everywhere with you as a reminder to keep drinking.
Eat raw fruits and vegetables – they are dense in water. You can get water from food, not just from beverages.
About Pasadena Pain Management
Pasadena Pain Management offers pain management treatment for TMJ/TMD, migraine, headaches and neck pain in Pasadena, CA. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Pasadena Pain Management, we offer the exclusive TruDenta treatment therapy — a highly specialized form of care that involves cutting-edge dental technology, without needles or injections. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable pain management care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping our patients happy and pain free.