With the use of cell phones increasing dramatically, especially among children and young adults, California public health officials are issuing a warning about cell phone radiation, or radio frequency (RF) energy, and its impact on our health.
Why Health Officials Are Concerned About Cell Phone Radiation
While research and science around RF is still evolving, some laboratory and human health studies show the possibility that long-term, high use of cell phones may be connected to:
- Brain cancer and tumors of the acoustic nerve (needed for hearing and maintaining balance) and salivary glands
- Lower sperm counts and inactive or less mobile sperm in men
- Headaches and effects on learning and memory, hearing, behavior,and sleep
These studies do not establish these links definitely, however, yet scientists feel it’s serious enough to discuss the risks with the public. So, in December 2017, for the first time ever, the California Department of Public Health released guidelines about harmful cellphone radiation and how you can avoid it.
Dr. Karen Smith with the California Department Of Public Health said, “We recognize that there are a lot of people in the general public that have some concerns about their cellphones and whether using a cellphone is safe.”
How You Can Reduce Exposure
Keeping your phone just a few feet away from you can make a big difference.
- When you talk on your cell phone, avoid holding it to your head—use the speakerphone or a headset instead. Wireless (Bluetooth) and wired headsets emit much less RF energy than cellphones.
- Send text messages instead.
- If you are streaming or if you are downloading or sending large files, try to keep the phone away from your head and body.
- Carry your cell phone in a backpack, briefcase, or purse; NOT in a pocket, bra or belt holster.
- When you sleep, you keep the cellphone at least arm’s length away from your body.
Note: Cell phones do not emit RF energy when it’s in airplane mode. (Airplane mode turns off cellular, Wi-Fi, andBluetooth.)
Finally, don’t rely on a “radiation shield” or other products claiming to block RF energy, electromagnetic fields, or radiation from cell phones. According to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission, products that interfere with the phone’s signal may force it to work harder and emit more RF energy in order to stay connected, possibly increasing your exposure.
For more information about these warning and cell phone radiation, please click HERE.
Headache and Migraine Treatment in Pasadena CA
Pasadena Pain Management offers pain management treatment for TMJ/TMD, migraine, headaches and neck pain in Pasadena, CA. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Pasadena Pain Management, we offer the exclusive TruDenta treatment therapy — a highly specialized form of care that involves cutting-edge dental technology, without needles or injections. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable pain management care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping our patients happy and pain free.