U.S. medical research funding is decreasing and some diseases are horribly underfunded, according to a report published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) in January. When it comes to migraine research, The Washington Post’s headline on the report is revealing: How the U.S. Underfunds Research for Migraines, Asthma and Depression. As headache specialist Robert Shapiro, M.D. (@headachedoc) pointed out on social media, no major disease is as underfunded as migraine is. It’s “almost off-the-charts.”
In a related tweet on Twitter, Dr. Shapiro notes that although migraine and schizophrenia have the same disease burden, NIH funding for schizophrenia is 12 times higher than it is for migraine.
Why is this alarming? These statistics tell the grim story of migraine in America:
- Given current population statistics, nearly 38 million Americans have migraine.
- As many as 15 million Americans have chronic migraine.
- Migraine costs the U.S. more than 29 billion dollars a year in medical expenses and lost productivity.
- Migraine is by far the most disabling of all neurological disorders.
- Migraine is the third most common disorder on the planet.
- Migraine is the seventh highest cause of disability worldwide.
- Severe, continuous migraine is as disabling as quadriplegia, active psychosis, and dementia and is more disabling than blindness or paraplegia, according to the World Health Organization’s disease burden assessment.
Migraine is not a minor little headache. It is not inconsequential. It IS debilitating. It IS painful. It IS all-consuming. And, in some cases, it IS deadly. As our country waits for more migraine research, treatment options are available. Choose not to live in pain. Contact Pasadena Pain Management for a FREE CONSULTATION.
Pasadena Pain Management offers pain management treatment for TMJ, migraine and headaches in Pasadena. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Pasadena Pain Management, we offer the exclusive TruDenta treatment therapy — a highly specialized form of care that involves cutting-edge dental technology, without needles or injections. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable pain management care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping our patients happy and pain free.