Headache and migraine symptoms — we feel them coming on and immediately reach for a pill bottle. While painkillers serve a purpose for some suffers, there are some natural, tastier alternatives. Here are 6 drinks that are proven effective in relieving that throbbing pain in your head.
Just bear in mind that, if you are prone to Migraine, certain ingredients (almonds, citrus, bananas, marked with an asterisk) can be triggers for some people some of the time.
- Water – Headaches thrive on dehydration, so grab a glass of water to extinguish that ache. Water increases blood flow and oxygenation to the brain. But drink room temperature or warm water, as cold or iced water can exacerbate the headache or cause an unwanted “brain freeze.”
- Almond milk – Almonds are high in magnesium, and other minerals to help stop headache and migraine symptoms. They also contain salicin, which gets converted to salicylic acid, the primary byproduct of aspirin…so you have a safe and natural pain reliever.
- Warm lemon water – This potent detoxifier should be consumed every morning after waking up, but also when a headache rears its ugly head. Lemon water reduces the intensity of a headache, especially if the headache is caused by gastrointestinal distress.
- Peppermint or ginger tea – It has been found that peppermint relaxes nerves and muscles spasms in the gut that are shown to transmits signals to the brain that cause a headache. Ginger helps relax blood vessels and improve blood flow to the brain, and it also has anti-inflammatory properties. Ginger is known to activate natural opiates in the brain, which helps lessen pain.
- Green juice – A green juice will not only effectively keep your body clean and detoxified, but all the vitamins and minerals — from calcium to magnesium to B vitamins — are known to tame a headache.
- Tomato juice or a virgin Bloody Mary – Tomatoes contain beneficial simple sugars with a lot of vitamins and minerals that can help get rid of a headache, especially if the headache is related to a hangover. Throw in some spices, and you boost the potency of tomatoes up to a whole other level.
About Pasadena Pain Management
Pasadena Pain Management offers pain management treatment Pasadena, CA. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Pasadena Pain Management, we offer the exclusive TruDenta treatment therapy — a highly specialized form of care that involves cutting-edge dental technology, without needles or injections. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable pain management care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping our patients happy and pain free.