Your temporomandibular joint (TMJ) plays a big role in your head and around your mouth. The joint serves as a hinge that connects your jaw to the temporal bones of your skull, which are in front of each ear. It lets you move your jaw up and down and side to side, so you can talk, chew, and yawn.
When you have pain in your jaw and in the muscles of your face, there is a good chance that you have a temporomandibular disorders (TMD). But you may hear it more commonly called TMJ, after the joint.
TMJ disorders can cause severe pain, effecting one or both sides of the face. Sometimes the condition is temporary; sometimes it lasts for many years.
Aside from severe pain, would you know if you had a TMJ disorder?
ASK YOURSELF THESE 10 QUESTIONS:
- Do you have pain or tenderness in your face, jaw joint area, neck and shoulders?
- Do you have pain around the ear when you chew, speak, or open your mouth wide?
- Do you have issues or problems when you try to open your mouth wide?
- Does your jaw get “stuck” or “lock” in the open- or closed-mouth position?
- Do you have clicking, popping, or grating sounds in the jaw joint when you open or close your mouth or chew.
- Does your face feel tired?
- Do you have trouble chewing or a sudden uncomfortable bite — as if the upper and lower teeth are not fitting together properly?
- Do you have swelling on the side of your face?
- Do you get toothaches?
- Do you get headaches and neck aches? Do you experience dizziness, earaches, hearing problems, upper shoulder pain, and ringing in the ears (tinnitus)?
The good new is that TMJ disorders can be treated at our dental office. Pasadena Pain Management offers a revolutionary treatment therapy called Disclusion Time Reduction, or DTR.
DTR is a computer-guided TMJ pain therapy that is only offered by a handful of health professional in the United States. DTR is proven to be much faster and more permanent than other traditional TMJ pain treatments, such as mouthguards and appliances. In most patients, many of the TMJ pain symptoms go away within the first week after treatment has begun!
Are you in pain from a possible TMJ disorder? Contact Pasadena Pain Management today for a FREE Consultation.
About Pasadena Pain Management
Pasadena Pain Management offers pain management treatment Pasadena, CA. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Pasadena Pain Management, we also offer the exclusive TruDenta treatment therapy — a highly specialized form of care that involves cutting-edge dental technology, without needles or injections. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable pain management care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping our patients happy and pain free.